Skip to main content

Remembering, Part 3

I was asked which hospital I wanted Son #7 to go to, of course I wanted him at the hospital that knew him, the one he was born in.  I was told he was too critical to make the 20 minute trip, so it was decided to take him to the county hospital. The children's hospital is across the street and we knew he would be sent there once he was stable and had permission to be transferred.

My neighbor called my hubby at church to let him know we were on our way to the hospital and he needed to get there as soon as possible.  He went back to gather the family and was nearly dragging them out of the sanctuary.  One of our friends stopped him long enough to find out what was going on.  They offered to take the family back to the house while he went to the hospital.  Our neighbor kept the two daughters that were at home.

Our ambulance ride to the hospital was rather slow.  They could not go very fast since Son #7 was too tiny for the straps on stretcher.  It seemed like the trip took forever, yet we live less than five miles from the county hospital.  On the way he coded a second time.   

I knew there was no barginning with God.  As much as I wanted my son to live I knew it was not what I wanted, but what God's will was for my family.  If God decided to take Son #7, He would give us the grace to go through it.  I had complete peace, one that would have to carry me through the nightmare we were facing.

I was informed by the paramedics there would be a team of about 15 doctors and nurses once we got to the hospital.  He wasn't kidding.  I could not believe one little baby would need so many medical personnel.  

Once he was in the triage a doctor pulled me aside for his history and what transpired at home.  I told him everything including that his hematocrit levels when we left the hospital.  (At one point in the NICU his crit was too low and he was close to tranfusing.)  The doctor asked me if I was a nurse.  I chuckled and told him that Son #7 was my second preemie and the 13th child I had given birth to.

I was ushered out of the room so they could start a spinal tap and draw labs.  By this time Hubby and three of our sons were waiting for me in the hall, and soon after our pastor and wife were there also.  They had no idea what had happened and I had to relive and tell the nightmare all over again.  

Once Son #7 was stable enough to move, they had permission and transported him across the street to the children's hospital.  I could not believe the mobile transport for an infant.  The incubator, the equipment, it was like a mini NICU.  I rode in the ambulance while the family, the pastor and his wife walked across the street.  The few hours seemed like a week! 

  

            

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Mother's Gentle Love

My Mother's Gentle Love by Ron Hamilton Who puts a band-aid on my knee? Who holds me close so tenderly? Who always sees the best in me? There’s no one like mother. Who always wipes my tears away? Who tells me I’ll be great some day? Who cares in such a gentle way? There’s no one like mother. My mother’s gentle love, my mother’s gentle love Has taught me of God’s tender care, and turned my eyes above. I’ll bless her all my days for all her gentle ways. Oh, how I thank my Lord above for my mother’s gentle love. Today is my mother's viewing, and tomorrow is her funeral.  The song above so much describes my mom.  She loved her four children so very much!  Before she had children, she was a nurse for "special care" babies~~"old" term for NICU.  Once she started having children she gave  up her career to stay at home and raise her own babies. Thanks, Mom! Thank you, Daddy, for allowing Mom to stay at home and raise us four children! My mother and her mo

Life....

Busy.  That seems to describe life in our home.  Just day to day busy.  Nothing really noteworthy.  Life moves on.   Let me think, since I last posted.... well, let me back up to about a month before my last post.  Daughter #6 got married in October of 2022...today Son #7 got married.  So, I have gained another son and another daughter! Our youngest graduated from high school in May and our oldest grandchild graduated the following day!  From our oldest child to our youngest, we have 33 years of education. (I'm tired just thinking about it!!) Still only 13 grandchildren.  Hubby is still in education.  I keep things going on the home front.  I help out the families where and when needed.  I still make cards for the card ministry that I have been doing for 19 years.  I still crochet.   That about sums up life at this point.  Have a wonderful day!

Remembering Mom

  Eleven years ago, today, my mom entered the gates of heaven.   My heart still breaks, hurts, and grieves.  But I know I will see her one day.  It seems like it has been a lifetime.  My youngest was only 6 1/2, now she is 17 1/2, a senior in high school and trying to choose between two colleges.  My oldest was 26 with young children and now is 37 and his crew is growing up too quickly!   My oldest grandchild was 6 and now is 17 and a senior in high school.  My youngest grandchild was only 6 weeks old and now is eleven.  Eight of my thirteen grandchildren have been born since that day.    Mom Mom's Viewing My children, taken about 6 weeks before  Mom died. I miss you, Mom!