Skip to main content

Looking Toward a New Year

Where has 2011 gone?  I am sure you have asked the same question.  Well, I am sure it is "gone" just like every year--quickly.  I remember as a child that a year lasted FOREVER! Or so it seemed.  As I got older it seemed to go by quicker.  Now at 47, staring 48 in the face, all I need to do is write the family birthdays on the calendar and WHAM!, we are into the New Year.

So, do you have New Year's resolutions?  Better yet, do you keep your resolutions?  I use to make resolutions just to fall from it within a month, a week, or even a day.  No New Year's resolutions for me.  I know that I will fall short of them.  

Our associate pastor was telling us in church Wednesday evening, he does not make New Year's resolutions.  He wants to do what the Lord would have him to do every day.  The more I thought on that the more I thought, "Isn't that what we should be doing."  What makes a new year so special that we have to wait until January 1 to do something that maybe we should have been doing all along. 

Of course I want to do better in 2012 than what I have done this year.  Not only in losing weight, by the way, it keeps finding me!  (Gotta find a better hiding place for it.)  I want to be more organized, show more hospitality, and the list goes on.  But my priority is to do what God would have me to do.  I want to live a life that is pleasing to Him.  I want to do better in sharing the gospel of His Son, telling others that they too can have a home in heaven.  I want to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit, who will guide me and teach me the truths of God.  

I look back on 2011 and wonder if my Lord has been pleased with me.  If I had to answer for Him I would have to say no.  My faith has wavered, there were times of unbelief, I was short and unkind not only to my family but to friends.  I have murmured, complained and was a very poor testimony.  But I am thankful to God that I am forgiven and He loves me.  I will strive to be what God wants me to be, not because it is a new year, but because it is the right thing to do.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Mother's Gentle Love

My Mother's Gentle Love by Ron Hamilton Who puts a band-aid on my knee? Who holds me close so tenderly? Who always sees the best in me? There’s no one like mother. Who always wipes my tears away? Who tells me I’ll be great some day? Who cares in such a gentle way? There’s no one like mother. My mother’s gentle love, my mother’s gentle love Has taught me of God’s tender care, and turned my eyes above. I’ll bless her all my days for all her gentle ways. Oh, how I thank my Lord above for my mother’s gentle love. Today is my mother's viewing, and tomorrow is her funeral.  The song above so much describes my mom.  She loved her four children so very much!  Before she had children, she was a nurse for "special care" babies~~"old" term for NICU.  Once she started having children she gave  up her career to stay at home and raise her own babies. Thanks, Mom! Thank you, Daddy, for allowing Mom to stay at home and raise us four children! My mother and her mo

Life....

Busy.  That seems to describe life in our home.  Just day to day busy.  Nothing really noteworthy.  Life moves on.   Let me think, since I last posted.... well, let me back up to about a month before my last post.  Daughter #6 got married in October of 2022...today Son #7 got married.  So, I have gained another son and another daughter! Our youngest graduated from high school in May and our oldest grandchild graduated the following day!  From our oldest child to our youngest, we have 33 years of education. (I'm tired just thinking about it!!) Still only 13 grandchildren.  Hubby is still in education.  I keep things going on the home front.  I help out the families where and when needed.  I still make cards for the card ministry that I have been doing for 19 years.  I still crochet.   That about sums up life at this point.  Have a wonderful day!

Remembering Mom

  Eleven years ago, today, my mom entered the gates of heaven.   My heart still breaks, hurts, and grieves.  But I know I will see her one day.  It seems like it has been a lifetime.  My youngest was only 6 1/2, now she is 17 1/2, a senior in high school and trying to choose between two colleges.  My oldest was 26 with young children and now is 37 and his crew is growing up too quickly!   My oldest grandchild was 6 and now is 17 and a senior in high school.  My youngest grandchild was only 6 weeks old and now is eleven.  Eight of my thirteen grandchildren have been born since that day.    Mom Mom's Viewing My children, taken about 6 weeks before  Mom died. I miss you, Mom!