Skip to main content

Bridal Walk

I recently had the honor of speaking at a bridal shower at our church.  Our Pastor's wife usually has the honor, but she is taking care of her elderly mother and could not attend.  I thought I would share with my devotional with you. 


The Bridal Walk

             Almost every girl dreams of the day when she is walked down the aisle to be united with the man of her dreams.  All the planning and preparations are finished.  The long awaited walk is a dream come true, ready to take that first step into a new life.
            Many years ago, the first bridal walk took place in a beautiful garden.  It was a walk like no other.  The bride was Eve.  She had no need of planning; the Professional Planner had everything arranged.  Her groom, Adam, had a nice, deep rest before he was to lay eyes on his bride.  God brought Eve to Adam, the very first bridal march.  What a beautiful picture that would have been, Eve, walking with God, her Creator!
            We know from the account of creation, God Himself put both Adam and Eve in the garden and they walked with God.  He even gave specific instructions in the keeping of the garden.   I imagine that Adam and Eve had many walks together and together with God.  I can’t begin to imagine what their walks were like, or what they even talked about. 
            We also know what happened when Eve’s walk did not follow the walk of God.  She was deceived and Adam followed her into the same deception.  Scripture does not tell us just how long into their “honeymoon” it was until Eve was deceived.  But we know the “honeymoon” was over.  Their walk was away from the life that God had planned for them.  I wonder what went through Adam’s mind after he ate the fruit.  What was Eve thinking? 
            Genesis 3:8 tells how they heard the voice of God walking in the garden, and He called for Adam.  Because of disobedience their lives would change forever.  Eve had to begin a new walk with her husband and it was one out of the garden.  No more walking in the beautiful garden, but now walking in a world unknown to them.  It was a walk that Adam and Eve would have to learn together.
            April, your bridal walk is not that far away.  You too will be brought to your groom.  You and John will begin a new walk together.
            You have grown up in the home with godly parents, who have prayed for you and your future.  They have watched you grow and taken your first of many walks.  Now they will watch you as you take the walk of a new bride. 
            Keep the most important walk in your life, your walk with God, first.  Make Him the priority of your day.
            The next walk is your walk as John’s wife.  He is God’s perfect gift for you. You both serve a God who can be trusted.  He is the One who can take two people, who by themselves are not complete, and make them complete and what He created them to be.
            There will be times when you do not see eye to eye.  They may on small issues; they may be on large issues.  The important thing is that you are walking beside the man God gave to you, following the Lord in all you do.
            The last walk is your walk with others.  Be careful of the company you keep.  I have seen many young couples leave church and serving the Lord because of the company they have kept.   
            I know you have been faithful in serving in your home church and while you were away at college.  I know your heart is to be faithful serving  here at church once you are married.  But like Eve, it is so easy to be deceived and turn from the walk.  It might be a church service here or there, but soon the walk will lead you from what God has for you and John.
            Sometimes we forget is that our walk is being watched.  I’m not talking about someone keeping “tabs” on us whether or not we are in church.  I am talking about the younger girls who are watching the example that is set before them.   
            Remember, a walk always begins with the first step.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Mother's Gentle Love

My Mother's Gentle Love by Ron Hamilton Who puts a band-aid on my knee? Who holds me close so tenderly? Who always sees the best in me? There’s no one like mother. Who always wipes my tears away? Who tells me I’ll be great some day? Who cares in such a gentle way? There’s no one like mother. My mother’s gentle love, my mother’s gentle love Has taught me of God’s tender care, and turned my eyes above. I’ll bless her all my days for all her gentle ways. Oh, how I thank my Lord above for my mother’s gentle love. Today is my mother's viewing, and tomorrow is her funeral.  The song above so much describes my mom.  She loved her four children so very much!  Before she had children, she was a nurse for "special care" babies~~"old" term for NICU.  Once she started having children she gave  up her career to stay at home and raise her own babies. Thanks, Mom! Thank you, Daddy, for allowing Mom to stay at home and raise us four children! My mother and her mo

Life....

Busy.  That seems to describe life in our home.  Just day to day busy.  Nothing really noteworthy.  Life moves on.   Let me think, since I last posted.... well, let me back up to about a month before my last post.  Daughter #6 got married in October of 2022...today Son #7 got married.  So, I have gained another son and another daughter! Our youngest graduated from high school in May and our oldest grandchild graduated the following day!  From our oldest child to our youngest, we have 33 years of education. (I'm tired just thinking about it!!) Still only 13 grandchildren.  Hubby is still in education.  I keep things going on the home front.  I help out the families where and when needed.  I still make cards for the card ministry that I have been doing for 19 years.  I still crochet.   That about sums up life at this point.  Have a wonderful day!

Remembering Mom

  Eleven years ago, today, my mom entered the gates of heaven.   My heart still breaks, hurts, and grieves.  But I know I will see her one day.  It seems like it has been a lifetime.  My youngest was only 6 1/2, now she is 17 1/2, a senior in high school and trying to choose between two colleges.  My oldest was 26 with young children and now is 37 and his crew is growing up too quickly!   My oldest grandchild was 6 and now is 17 and a senior in high school.  My youngest grandchild was only 6 weeks old and now is eleven.  Eight of my thirteen grandchildren have been born since that day.    Mom Mom's Viewing My children, taken about 6 weeks before  Mom died. I miss you, Mom!